Programs and Services
Public Class Schedule
Full Chimera Courses
- ALL GENDERS*: Sundays, April 15 & 22, 10:00am-4:30pm (2 sessions)
- Wednesdays, May 16-June 20, 6:00-8:00pm (6 sessions)
- Saturday/Sunday, August 4 & 5, 10:00am-4:30pm (2 sessions)
- Tuesdays, September 25-October 30, 6:00-8:30pm (6 sessions)
- Sundays, November 4 & 11, 10:00am-4:30pm (2 sessions)
*Please note that trans women and non-binary participants are welcome at ALL public courses. Our instructors always prioritize an emotionally safe and inclusive atmosphere for all participants. We also recognize that some participants will feel more comfortable in a class specifically open to all genders.
- Keeping Safe After 55. In partnership with the Madison Senior Center, this workshop series focuses on strategies for women ages 55 and older. Classes are free, and will be held at the Senior Center (330 W Mifflin St). Attendance at the entire series is encouraged! Register here.
- Realities of Self-Defense After 55, April 3, 10:00am-12:00pm. This workshop brings creativity and awareness to the idea of self-defense in later life. Learn strategies that work for YOU. Participants will leave with a more in-depth understanding of how violence unfolds, as well as physical and verbal tools to enhance safety. FREE – register here.
- Out & About, April 10, 10:00am-12:00pm. Many people are concerned about their safety in public spaces. This workshop will address common fears about being followed, grabbed, and more, and teach strategic, physical, and verbal skills for confronting and enforcing your boundaries with strangers. FREE – register here.
- Standing Up to Pressure, April 17, 10:00am-12:00pm. Whether it’s a doctor with a specialized degree or a dude with a lead pipe, we may sometimes encounter people who use a variety of techniques to pressure or coerce us into following their instructions. This workshop focuses on developing techniques to resist these kinds of pressure, whoever it’s coming from. FREE – register here.
- Family & Friends, April 24, 10:00am-12:00pm. We all have pushy people in our lives! This workshop focuses on being physically and verbally assertive in your personal relationships, and how to encourage assertive behavior among your family members and friends, whether it’s a grandchild in their first relationship, or a friend trying to set a boundary with a romantic partner. FREE – register here.
- Expanding Your Toolbox: Assertiveness for the Trans Community, May 21, 6:00-9:00pm. Designed for the trans community, this workshop includes de-escalation and hate crime discussion. Supplemental to 12-hour Chimera, but no previous Chimera necessary. FREE – donations welcome but not expected.
- Active Bystander Training, October 28, 1:00pm-4:00pm. How to use Chimera to step in when you see harassment or discrimination. ALL GENDERS WELCOME. No previous Chimera necessary. $30/20 students
For Safer Bar Bystander Training dates, click here.
Workshops for Chimera Graduates
- *NEW* Using Your Space, June 2, 1:00-4:00pm. Explores personal space, movement, and use of your environment. MUST have taken 12-hour Chimera first. $30/20 students
- Refresher Workshop, August 20, 6:00-9:00pm. Can’t quite remember your Chimera? Sign up for this review session! MUST have taken 12-hour Chimera first. $30/20 students
- *NEW* Extended Scenarios, September 9, 1:00-4:00pm. Explores situations that involve non-violent physical contact, location changes (e.g. getting on the bus), and/or more than two people. MUST have taken 12-hour Chimera first. $30/20 students
Pre-registration is required. We must receive your registration form and payment no later than one week before the first class date to guarantee your spot in the class.
Basic Chimera is $120 per person or $75 for students.
Choose the best online registration option below:
- I am registering myself (ages 18+).
- I am registering myself and one or more minors.
- I am registering one or more minors.
- Printable registration form available here. Call the Rape Crisis Center at 251-5126 for more information.
Need-based scholarships are available! First, fill out a registration form above and select the payment option that says, “I am not paying at this time.” Then click here to fill out a short application. Chimera staff will get back to you as soon as possible. Email [email protected] with any questions.
Chimera Gift Certificate
A Chimera class makes a great gift! Click here to purchase a Chimera gift certificate.
Classes (unless otherwise noted) will be held at McConnell Hall (located across the street from the Meriter Hospital Main Entrance on 1010 Mound Street). Enter on South Brooks Street (between Mound St & Milton St) in the door that says McConnell Hall Classroom Entrance. Once inside, there will be signs directing you to the classroom.
Street parking in the area should be available (free, no time limit after 6pm and on Sundays). Parking in the Meriter ramp is also available for a fee.
Inclement Weather Policy
If inclement weather causes transportation safety concerns for the instructor(s) or students, the instructor may decide to cancel class. If the session is canceled, they will email all participants to let them know, by 2:00 PM for an evening class or 8:00 PM for a morning class the following day. RCC will reschedule the session as soon as possible, aiming for the same day of the week and time of day, one week later if possible.
Chimera Refund Policy
Registrants may transfer their enrollment to a different course as long as they notify RCC at least 48 hours in advance of the first session, but are not eligible for a refund except in cases where RCC cancels the course, as follows:
- Low enrollment: If enrollment is very low, RCC will cancel the entire course, and registrants will be eligible for a full refund minus applicable credit card or PayPal processing fees.
- Instructor illness: If the instructor is too sick to hold class and a substitute is not available, she will cancel the entire class, and registrants will have the option of either transferring their enrollment to a different class session or asking for a full refund minus applicable credit card or PayPal processing fees.
In other cases (including absences disclosed less than 48 hours before the first session), registrants will not be eligible to receive a refund. In cases of inclement weather RCC will reschedule the session in question. No refunds will be issued.