Programs and Services
Public Class Schedule
Full Chimera Courses
- Sundays, February 10 & 17, 10:00am-4:30pm (2 sessions)
- Wednesdays, February 13-April 10, 7:00-8:30pm (8 sessions – no class 3/20) Via UW Continuing Education: register on their website!
- Tuesdays, March 26-April 30, 6:00-8:30pm (6 sessions) – ALL GENDERS WELCOME
- Mondays, June 10-July 15, 6:00-8:30pm (6 sessions)
- Mondays, June 10-July 29, 7:15-8:45pm (8 sessions) Via UW Continuing Education: register on their website!
- Sat./Sun., August 3 & 4, 10:00am-4:30pm (2 sessions)
- Wednesdays, September 18-October 23, 6:00-8:30pm (6 sessions)
- Sundays, November 3 & 10, 10:00am-4:30pm (2 sessions)
Basic Chimera is $120 per person or $75 for students/seniors.
Please note that trans women and non-binary participants are welcome at ALL public courses. Our instructors always prioritize an emotionally safe and inclusive atmosphere for all participants. We also recognize that some participants will feel more comfortable in a class specifically open to all genders (our March/April 2019 dates).
- Palentine’s Day Chimera, February 13, 6:00-8:00pm. Get a taste of Chimera (and bring a pal!) at this two-hour workshop. No previous Chimera necessary.
- Active Bystander Training, July 28, 1:00-4:00pm. How to step in when you see harassment or discrimination. No previous Chimera necessary. ALL GENDERS WELCOME.
- Verbal Self-Defense for the Workplace, October 6, 1:30-3:30pm. Non-violent strategies for standing up for yourself at work. No previous Chimera necessary. ALL GENDERS WELCOME.
Workshops for Chimera Graduates
- Refresher Workshop, August 26, 6:00-9:00pm. MUST take 12-hour course first. Student-directed review.
- Advanced Skills, April 7, 1:00-4:00pm. MUST take 12-hour Chimera first. Additional physical and verbal skills not taught in basic course.
- Using Your Space, June 30, 1:00-4:00pm. MUST take 12-hour Chimera first. Explores personal space, movement, and use of your environment, especially using longer scenarios.
For Safer Bar Bystander Training dates, click here.
Please pre-register. We must receive your registration form and payment no later than one week before the first class date to guarantee your spot in the class.
Choose the best online registration option below:
- I am registering myself (ages 18+).
- I am registering myself and one or more minors.
- I am registering one or more minors.
- Printable registration form available here. Call the Rape Crisis Center at 251-5126 for more information.
Need-based scholarships are available! First, fill out a registration form above and select the payment option that says, “I am not paying at this time.” Then click here to fill out a short application. Chimera staff will get back to you as soon as possible. Email [email protected] with any questions.
Chimera Gift Certificate
A Chimera class makes a great gift! Click here to purchase a Chimera gift certificate.
Classes (unless otherwise noted) will be held at McConnell Hall (located across the street from the Meriter Hospital Main Entrance on 1010 Mound Street). Enter on South Brooks Street (between Mound St & Milton St) in the door that says McConnell Hall Classroom Entrance. Once inside, there will be signs directing you to the classroom.
Street parking in the area should be available (free, no time limit after 6pm and on Sundays). Parking in the Meriter ramp is also available for a fee.
Inclement Weather Policy
If inclement weather causes transportation safety concerns for the instructor(s) or students, the instructor may decide to cancel class. If the session is canceled, they will email all participants to let them know, by 2:00 PM for an evening class or 8:00 PM for a morning class the following day. RCC will reschedule the session as soon as possible, aiming for the same day of the week and time of day, one week later if possible.
Chimera Refund Policy
Registrants may transfer their enrollment to a different course as long as they notify RCC at least 48 hours in advance of the first session, but are not eligible for a refund except in cases where RCC cancels the course, as follows:
- Low enrollment: If enrollment is very low, RCC will cancel the entire course, and registrants will be eligible for a full refund minus applicable credit card or PayPal processing fees.
- Instructor illness: If the instructor is too sick to hold class and a substitute is not available, she will cancel the entire class, and registrants will have the option of either transferring their enrollment to a different class session or asking for a full refund minus applicable credit card or PayPal processing fees.
In other cases (including absences disclosed less than 48 hours before the first session), registrants will not be eligible to receive a refund. In cases of inclement weather RCC will reschedule the session in question. No refunds will be issued.