Become a Volunteer Helpline Advocate
We are looking for volunteers of all genders to staff the helpline on overnight shifts (7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m., seven days a week) and weekend shifts (9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays). There is one volunteer on each shift and a back-up RCC staff person on call at all times.
Training and Evaluation
- Five training sessions
- Two to three volunteer meetings per year
- Check-ins with on-call advocate each shift, and with direct supervisor as needed
- Completion of Rape Crisis Center’s volunteer training program
- General understanding of, or interest in learning about, sexual assault issues
- Ability to respond to callers in a supportive manner
- Must be at least 18-years-old
Duties & Responsibilities
- One-year commitment
- Staff 20 helpline shifts per year
- Provide support by phone to victim/survivors of sexual assault and/or childhood sexual abuse, their support people and concerned community members
- Provide accurate information about community resources to helpline callers. Make referrals when appropriate.
- Follow all RCC guidelines, policies and procedures for the helpline as well as those outlined in the volunteer handbook
Please be sure to read the above description before filling out this application. Once your application has been submitted, RCC staff will get in touch with you regarding an interview.