GameChangers Youth Advisory Board
Do Good. Get Paid.
Our 2018-19 application is now open! Click here to learn how to apply.
What is GameChangers?
Rape Crisis Center’s (RCC) GameChangers Youth Advisory Board is committed to empowering youth to engage in activism, change the culture of sexual violence, and foster progress across Dane County. Sixteen students will be selected as GameChangers for the 2018-2019 school year. Participants will work together to educate themselves and their fellow board members about various aspects of activism and some of the root causes of rape culture, later addressing these issues through projects and presentations to community members. The focus will be on social justice, primary prevention, rape culture, and the intersectionality of oppressions within sexual violence.
GameChangers will learn about topics like:
- Student rights and Title IX
- Black Lives Matter
- Social justice-centered political engagement and processes
- Media literacy
- LGBTQ+ issues
- Legal advocacy
Examples of past GameChanger successes:
- SURVIVE. CREATE. EMPOWER Art Show
- Partnership with Representative Chris Taylor
- Recommendations provided to Madison Metropolitan School District Superintendent Jen Cheatham
- 2017 & 2018 Policy Summits
- Creation of Sex Education Tool Kit for Dane County health teachers
How are GameChangers compensated for their work?
Rape Crisis Center is committed to the development of young people and to valuing the important work done by GameChangers. GameChangers will receive the following:
- $8.33/hour for 6 hours per month
- $0.51/mile reimbursement for travel mileage to and from every meeting
- meals during each meeting
- childcare, if needed
When and where does GameChangers meet?
Meetings will be held at:
Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault (WCASA)
2801 West Beltline Highway, Suite 202
Madison, Wisconsin 53713
- Saturday, October 13, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Monday, October 22, 6:00-8:30pm
- Saturday, November 10, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Monday, November 19, 6:00-8:30pm
- Monday, December 3, 6:00-8:30pm
- Saturday, December 15, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Monday, January 14, 6:00-8:30pm
- Saturday, January 26, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Saturday, February 9, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Monday, February 25, 6:00-8:30pm
- Saturday, March 2, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Monday, March 11, 6:00-8:30pm
- Monday, April 8, 6:00-8:30pm
- Saturday, April 27, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Saturday, May 11, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Monday, May 20, 6:00-8:30pm
- Monday, June 3, 6:00-8:30pm
- Saturday, June 8, 10:00am-1:30pm
GameChangers may not miss more than 6 hours of meeting time. If you have concerns regarding your availability for meetings, you may contact the Rape Crisis Center to discuss them.
What are you looking for in a GameChanger?
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Current high school student in Dane County at beginning of 2018-2019 academic year.
- Passionate about social justice, collaborative, responsible, and innovative.
- Excited to work with other teens who may be different from the applicant.
- Consistently available via email and able to attend meetings twice a month.
- Understanding of RCC’s mandated reporting policy.*
*Mandated reporting policy: If anyone under the age of 18 discloses a personal experience of abuse or neglect to an RCC employee or volunteer, the Rape Crisis Center will file a report with Child Protective Services or law enforcement unless such a report has already been filed. RCC chooses to follow mandated reporting policies.
How do I apply?
The deadline to apply is 9:00am on September 24. The application consists of the following three parts:
- Online application form
- Parental consent form (see below)
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher or other staff at a school or a youth serving agency (see below)
Click here to fill out our 2018-19 application. Please contact us if you need an application in a different format. The application is due on September 24 by 9:00am.
Be sure you have read and understand the expectations on this page before you apply. Please note that your application will not be considered complete until we have received both the online application form and a letter of recommendation.
Participation in the GameChangers Board requires consent from either a parent or legal guardian. The form is available by postal mail, email, or you can download it by clicking here. One section of the online application asks for the appropriate contact information. If you are selected for an interview, the parental consent form must be received on or before your interview date.
Letter of Recommendation
All applicants must submit one letter of recommendation written by a teacher, school staff, or staff at a youth serving agency (e.g. Mentoring Positives or Boys and Girls Club). The letter is due on September 24 by 9:00am.
Whomever you choose to write your recommendation should know you well and be able to offer specific examples of your performance – we want to hear from someone who can assess both your strengths and areas of future growth. Please give your recommender the link to this section so that they can upload the letter directly to us.
Letters should be written on agency or school letterhead and uploaded below as a PDF. Letters should be no more than two pages in length in 12-point font.
In your letter, please address the following questions:
- How does the applicant’s performance, potential, background, or personal qualities compare to other students? What are their relative strengths?
- How has the applicant demonstrated the qualities of a “game changer”: innovative, collaborative, responsible and passionate about seeking social justice? Has the student demonstrated a willingness to take intellectual risks to go beyond the normal classroom experience? How do you envision the applicant making a difference in your school or organization’s culture in regards to ending sexual violence?
- What are the applicant’s potential areas for growth? Do you foresee any concerns or potential roadblocks for the applicant participating fully on this board? If so, what suggestions do you have for how we can support the applicant? How do you envision that participation in the GameChangers will help this applicant with their future trajectory?
Submit completed recommendation letters by clicking here.
Next steps after you have completed your application:
RCC will review your application and let you know if you have been selected for an interview. Interviews will be held at the Rape Crisis Center, 2801 Coho Street, Suite #301, Madison, WI 53713. Applicants will be contacted in late summer for their availability on designated interview dates.
If you have questions:
Please visit our website for any updates or contact Heather Chun at (608) 251-5126 or by email at [email protected].