GameChangers Youth Advisory Board
Do Good. Get Paid.
Our 2018-19 application is CLOSED! Fill out our interest form to be notified when next year’s application opens in summer 2019.
What is GameChangers?
Rape Crisis Center’s (RCC) GameChangers Youth Advisory Board is committed to empowering youth to engage in activism, change the culture of sexual violence, and foster progress across Dane County. Up to twenty students will be selected as GameChangers for the 2019-20 school year. Participants will work together to educate themselves and their fellow board members about various aspects of activism and some of the root causes of rape culture, later addressing these issues through projects and presentations to community members. The focus will be on social justice, primary prevention, rape culture, and the intersectionality of oppressions within sexual violence.
GameChangers will learn about topics like:
- Student rights and Title IX
- Black Lives Matter
- Social justice-centered political engagement and processes
- Media literacy
- LGBTQ+ issues
- Legal advocacy
Examples of past GameChanger successes:
- SURVIVE. CREATE. EMPOWER Art Show
- Partnership with Representative Chris Taylor
- Recommendations provided to Madison Metropolitan School District Superintendent Jen Cheatham
- 2017 & 2018 Policy Summits
- Creation of Sex Education Tool Kit for Dane County health teachers
How are GameChangers compensated for their work?
Rape Crisis Center is committed to the development of young people and to valuing the important work done by GameChangers. GameChangers will receive the following:
- $8.33/hour for 6 hours per month
- $0.51/mile reimbursement for travel mileage to and from every meeting
- meals during each meeting
- childcare, if needed
When and where does GameChangers meet?
2019-20 meetings will be held at:
Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault (WCASA)
2801 West Beltline Highway, Suite 202
Madison, Wisconsin 53713
- Saturday, October 12, 10am-1:30pm
- Monday, October 21, 6-8:30pm
- Saturday, November 9, 10am-1:30pm
- Monday, November 18, 6-8:30pm
- Saturday, December 7, 10am-1:30pm
- Monday, December 16, 6-8:30pm
- Monday, January 13, 6-8:30pm
- Saturday, January 18, 10am-1:30pm
- Monday, February 3, 6-8:30pm
- Saturday, February 15, 10am-1:30pm
- Monday, March 9, 6-8:30pm
- Saturday, March 21, 10am-1:30pm
- Monday, April 6, 6-8:30pm
- Saturday, April 18, 10am-1:30pm
- Monday, May 4, 6-8:30pm
- Saturday, May 16, 10am-1:30pm
- Saturday, May 30, 10am-1:30pm
GameChangers may not miss more than 6 hours of meeting time. If you have concerns regarding your availability for meetings, you may contact the Rape Crisis Center to discuss them.
What are you looking for in a GameChanger?
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Current high school student in Dane County at beginning of academic year.
- Passionate about social justice, collaborative, responsible, and innovative.
- Excited to work with other teens who may be different from the applicant.
- Consistently available via email and able to attend meetings twice a month.
- Understanding of RCC’s mandated reporting policy.*
*Mandated reporting policy: If anyone under the age of 18 discloses a personal experience of abuse or neglect to an RCC employee or volunteer, the Rape Crisis Center will file a report with Child Protective Services or law enforcement unless such a report has already been filed. RCC chooses to follow mandated reporting policies.
How do I apply?
The application consists of the following three parts:
- Online application form
- Parental consent form (see below)
- Recommendation from a mentor, teacher, or other adult (see below)
Our 2018-19 application is CLOSED. Please fill out our interest form to be contacted when next year’s application opens in early summer 2019.
Be sure you have read and understand the expectations on this page before you apply.
Participation in the GameChangers Board requires consent from either a parent or legal guardian. The form is available by postal mail, email, or you can download it by clicking here. One section of the online application asks for the appropriate contact information. If you are selected for an interview, the parental consent form must be received on or before your interview date.
All applicants are highly encouraged to obtain one recommendation from a teacher, mentor, or other trusted adult. This person can be from any country and give the recommendation in the language that is most comfortable for them. This includes coaches, faith leaders (priests, pastors, etc.), school counselors, or community mentors.
This testament should come from a person who has worked with you in some capacity and can attest to your dedication and provide examples of your performance. Please give your recommender the link to this section so that they can complete your recommendation.
- The GameChangers Youth Advisory Board is a group of students committed to creating social change and fighting rape culture. Describe a time you have seen the individual you’re recommending be a change-maker.
- Being part of GameChangers is an important commitment and requires consistent attendance. Please describe how you’ve seen the person you’re recommending convey dedication and follow-through.
Recommendations are due the date of the applicant’s interview, which will be set after the application due date if they are selected to the interview round.
Next steps after you have completed your application:
RCC will review your application and let you know if you have been selected for an interview. Interviews will be held at the Rape Crisis Center, 2801 Coho Street, Suite #301, Madison, WI 53713. Applicants will be contacted in late summer for their availability on designated interview dates.
If you have questions:
Please visit our website for any updates or contact Heather Chun at (608) 251-5126 or by email at [email protected].