GameChangers Youth Advisory Board
Do Good. Get Paid.
Our 2020-21 application is CLOSED! Fill out our interest form to be notified when next year’s application opens in late summer 2021.
Due to COVID, we are prioritizing the safety of our staff and GameChangers by conducting our 2020-21 meetings virtually over Zoom. GameChangers is made up of students from across Dane County, so we will all need to embrace some flexibility to ensure we can work together.
What is GameChangers?
Rape Crisis Center’s (RCC) GameChangers Youth Advisory Board is committed to empowering youth to engage in activism, change the culture of sexual violence, and foster progress across Dane County. Up to twenty students will be selected as GameChangers for the 2020-21 school year. Participants will work together to educate themselves and their fellow board members about various aspects of activism and some of the root causes of rape culture, later addressing these issues through projects and presentations to community members. The focus will be on social justice, primary prevention, rape culture, and the intersectionality of oppressions within sexual violence.
GameChangers will learn about topics like:
- Student rights and Title IX
- Black Lives Matter
- Social justice-centered political engagement and processes
- Media literacy
- LGBTQ+ issues
- Legal advocacy
Examples of past GameChanger successes:
- SURVIVE. CREATE. EMPOWER Art Show
- Partnership with Representative Chris Taylor
- Recommendations provided to Madison Metropolitan School District Superintendent Jen Cheatham
- 2017 & 2018 Policy Summits
- Creation of Sex Education Tool Kit for Dane County health teachers
How are GameChangers compensated for their work?
Rape Crisis Center is committed to the development of young people and to valuing the important work done by GameChangers. During normal in-person meetings, GameChangers receive the following:
- $8.33/hour for 5 hours per month
- $0.51/mile reimbursement for travel mileage to and from every meeting
- meals during each meeting
- childcare, if needed
2020-21 note: Since we will be meeting virtually, mileage and meals will mostly not apply. We do hope and plan to have a few safely socially-distanced gatherings at an accessible park at the beginning and end of the year, and both mileage and food will be honored for that. And of course, if we deem it safe to begin meeting in person again, mileage and meals will be provided as usual.
When and where does GameChangers meet?
2020-21 meetings will be held virtually over Zoom. We will meet from 6:00-7:30pm twice a month on Thursdays (unless otherwise noted).
- Wednesday, October 14, 3-4:30pm
- Wednesday, October 28, 3-4:30pm
- November 12
- November 19
- December 10
- December 17
- January 14
- January 28
- February 11
- February 25
- March 11
- March 25
- April 8
- April 22
- May 6
- May 20
- Saturday, May 29 (2-hour outdoor celebration picnic, times TBA)
GameChangers may not miss more than 6 hours of meeting time. If you have concerns regarding your availability for meetings, you may contact the Rape Crisis Center to discuss them.
Access to technology: Attendance at these virtual meetings will remain integral to our program’s success and we strongly encourage you to ensure you have access to internet and a computer/phone to attend all meetings. If you need assistance and support with this we are happy to work with you – there’s a spot in the application where you can ask us to follow up with you! GameChangers strives to be radically inclusive so we want to help you navigate accessibility.
What are you looking for in a GameChanger?
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Current high school student in Dane County at beginning of academic year.
- Passionate about social justice, collaborative, responsible, and innovative.
- Excited to work with other teens who may be different from the applicant.
- Consistently available via email and able to attend meetings twice a month.
How do I apply?
The application consists of the following three parts:
- Online application form
- Parental consent form (see below)
- Recommendation from a mentor, teacher, or other adult (see below)
Submit an online application form. Be sure you have read and understand the expectations on this page before you apply.
Fill out our interest form to be notified when next year’s application opens in late summer 2021.
Participation in the GameChangers Board requires consent from either a parent or legal guardian. Click here to download the form, or we can send it to you by postal mail or email. (One section of the online application asks for the appropriate contact information.) It can be returned via email, mail, fax, or in-person drop-off.
All applicants are highly encouraged to obtain one recommendation from a teacher, mentor, or other trusted adult. This person can be from any country and give the recommendation in the language that is most comfortable for them. This includes coaches, faith leaders (priests, pastors, etc.), school counselors, or community mentors.
This testament should come from a person who has worked with you in some capacity and can attest to your dedication and provide examples of your performance. Please give your recommender the link to this section so that they can complete your recommendation.
- The GameChangers Youth Advisory Board is a group of students committed to creating social change and fighting rape culture. Describe a time you have seen the individual you’re recommending be a change-maker.
- Being part of GameChangers is an important commitment and requires consistent attendance. Please describe how you’ve seen the person you’re recommending convey dedication and follow-through.
Next steps after you have completed your application:
RCC will review your application and let you know if you have been selected for a 15-30-minute interview. Interviews will be held virtually. RCC staff will reach out to schedule an interview during designated blocks of time.
If you have questions:
Please visit our website for any updates or contact Heather Chun at (608) 251-5126 or by email at [email protected].