GameChangers Youth Advisory Board
Be a GameChanger
Together with schools that are committed to changing the culture of sexual violence, the Rape Crisis Center (RCC) GameChangers Youth Advisory Board will build change and leadership across Dane County. Sixteen students will be selected to participate in the GameChanger board for the 2017-2018 school year. Board members will be responsible for educating themselves and their fellow board members about some of the root causes of rape culture, and will develop projects designed to address these issues. The focus will be on primary prevention, rape culture, and the intersectionality of oppressions. GameChangers are expected to attend and participate in all meetings – see the list of dates below.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Current high school student in Dane County at beginning of 2017-2018 academic year.
- Passionate about social justice, collaborative, responsible, and innovative.
- Excited to work with other teens who may be different from the applicant.
- Consistently available via email and able to attend meetings twice a month.
- Understanding of RCC’s mandated reporting policy.*
*Mandated reporting policy: If anyone under the age of 18 discloses a personal experience of abuse or neglect to an RCC employee or volunteer, the Rape Crisis Center will file a report with Child Protective Services or law enforcement. RCC chooses to follow mandated reporting policies.
The GameChangers Board will meet twice a month, once on a Saturday morning and once on a Wednesday evening. Free lunch or dinner will be provided.
Meetings will be held at the Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault (WCASA) at 2801 West Beltline Highway, Suite 202, Madison, Wisconsin 53713.
The dates for the meetings are:
- Saturday, October 14, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Wednesday, October 25, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Saturday, November 4, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Wednesday, November 15, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Wednesday, December 6, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Saturday, December 16, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Saturday, January 13, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Wednesday, January 24, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Saturday, February 10, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Wednesday, February 28, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Wednesday, March 7, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Saturday, March 17, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Saturday, April 14, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Wednesday, April 25, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Wednesday, May 9, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Saturday, May 19, 10:00am-1:30pm
- Wednesday, June 13, 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Saturday, June 16, 10:00am-1:30pm
GameChangers may not miss more than 6 hours of meeting time. If you have concerns regarding your availability for meetings, you may contact the Rape Crisis Center to discuss them.
What will I work on as a GameChanger?
GameChangers will spend the first half of the year researching one of the following four contributing causes of rape culture:
- Rigid gender roles & expectations
- Culture of hypersexualization
- Acceptance of violence over systemically oppressed groups
- Sexual entitlement & cultural misperceptions of consent
In the second half of the school year, GameChangers will develop a number of projects in response to these issues, to be completed by the end of the 2017-18 school year.
What can I expect from my experience as a GameChanger?
Stipend: Rape Crisis Center is committed to the development of young people, and will pay each student $8.33/hour for the 6 hours of meeting time per month, to be paid monthly. Rape Crisis Center will also provide:
- reimbursement for travel mileage to and from every meeting
- materials for the final projects
- childcare, if needed
How to apply:
The application consists of the following three parts.
- Online application form
- Parental consent form (see below)
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher or other staff at a school or a youth serving agency (see below)
The online application form can be accessed by clicking HERE. The application is due on September 22, 2017.
Please note that your application will not be considered complete until we have received both the online application form and a letter of recommendation.
Participation in the GameChangers Board requires consent from either a parent or legal guardian. The form is available by postal mail, email, or download by clicking here. One section of the online application asks for the appropriate contact information. If you are selected for an interview, the parental consent form must be received on or before your interview date.
Letter of Recommendation
All applicants must submit one letter of recommendation written by a teacher, school staff, or staff at a youth serving agency (e.g. Mentoring Positives or Boys and Girls Club).
The letter is due on September 22 by 11:59pm. Whomever you choose to write your recommendation, make sure they know you well and can offer specific examples of your performance – we want to hear from someone who can assess both your strengths and areas of future growth.
Letters should be written on agency or school letterhead and uploaded below as a PDF. Letters should be no more than two pages in length in 12-point font.
Please give your teacher or other person writing your letter of recommendation the link to this webpage so that they can upload the letter directly online.
We ask that recommenders submit a letter addressing the following questions:
- How does the applicant’s performance, potential, background, or personal qualities compare to other students? What are their relative strengths?
- How has the applicant demonstrated the qualities of a “game changer”: innovative, collaborative, responsible and passionate about seeking social justice? Has the student demonstrated a willingness to take intellectual risks to go beyond the normal classroom experience? How do you envision the applicant making a difference in your school or organization’s culture in regards to ending sexual violence?
- What are the applicant’s potential areas for growth? Do you foresee any concerns or potential roadblocks for the applicant participating fully on this board? If so, what suggestions do you have for how we can support the applicant? How do you envision that participation in the GameChangers will help this applicant with their future trajectory?
Submit completed recommendation letters by clicking here.
Next steps after you have completed your application:
RCC will review your application and let you know if you have been selected for an interview. Interviews will be held at the Rape Crisis Center, 2801 Coho Street, Suite #301, Madison, WI 53713. Applicants will be contacted in late summer for their availability on designated interview dates.
If you have questions:
Please visit our website for any updates or contact Heather Chun at (608) 251-5126 or by email at [email protected].